Thursday, October 21, 2010

Playing Monsters Straight Out Of The Book


Do you play monsters as they're written straight out of a Monster Manual or Bestiary? I don't know what it is but since I started DMing, I never really liked using anything that was in print as is aside from you know...Kobold Minion, Kenku Warrior, etc. And if I used a stat block straight from a published monster that would be of relevance, it was always reskinned to look like something else.
This comes from my inability to leave things alone but later on, I really liked how it made metagaming harder for other players who also DM or just happen to own all of the books. I also understand their powers and abilities a bit more as I had to actively take part in selecting what would be kept, ditched and added.

Oh and if you haven't seen "How To Train Your Dragon", you should do something about it. ^_^

3 comments:

  1. There are monsters? In books? Oh. Well, that explains why all my ideas are taken...=p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha at least you didn't say, "That's why people who read a lot end up maimed or missing"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get bored with the monsters as written. I change them.

    ReplyDelete